A 5 day Earthbag Dome Workshop.
4th – 8th May 2016.
Taught by architect and earthbag author Paulina Wojciechowska, and Antony Dennis.
The workshop will be lead by Earth, Hands and Houses founder Paulina Wojciechowska, a qualified architect who has over 18 years of experience building with earthbags in communities all around the world. Paulina worked alongside Nader Khalili at Cal-Earth in 1996 and is the author of “Building with Earth”, one of the leading earthbag construction books.
What You Will Learn
The workshop is a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience of all stages of constructing a 2 metre diameter earthbag dome in a beautiful location in Spain, and will include:
Earthbag Dome Workshop (5 days)
- Theory of earthbag stucture foundations.
- Building an earthbag dome from an existing base.
- Creating earthbag walls using both single bags and earthbag tubes.
- Different techniques using arches and lintels to construct doorways and windows within the earthbag structure.
- Ensuring the structure is stable through the correct use of buttressing and corbelling based upon the nature of the earth used to fill the bags.
- Recognizing the clay found on our land and understanding how to use it for building.
- Preparation and application of the first 2 coats of clay plaster onto an earthbag dome.
- Understanding of how earthbag domes weather from inspection of a dome built on the same site the previous year.
- Hands-on experience of repairing weather damage to the earthen plaster on the dome built the previous year.
- Experience of deconstructing an earthbag dome structure to give additional understanding of the strength of the structure.
Book Your Place
The workshop prices is:
Five day Earthbag Dome Workshop:
340€ per person, or 295€ if booked by 1st March 2016.
Numbers on the workshop will be limited to ensure a good learning experience, and we are expecting the allocated places to fill up before the workshop.
Note that we are running a series of workshops at this time in Spain, also covering how to plan your dream natural home, building with straw bales and clay plaster, building a natural floor, and a final workshop combining natural building with meditation, yoga, dance and sensuality.
To book your place
email info@EarthHandsAndHouses.org or
call Antony on (+34) 633 012 477.
About your Workshop Leader
The workshop will be lead by Earth, Hands and Houses founder Paulina Wojciechowska, a qualified architect who has over 18 years of experience building with earthbags in communities all around the world. Paulina worked alongside Nader Khalili at Cal-Earth in 1996 and is the author of “Building with Earth”, one of the leading earthbag construction books. Click here to hear Paulina talk about her experiences.
Food, Location, Accommodation
Vegetarian food will be available at an additional cost, payable upon arrival. The food will comprise a self service breakfast, full cooked lunchtime meal, and a light supper.
The workshop will be held at our olive grove, 2km south of the village of Tarbena. You may camp within the olive grove for free.
Click here for more details of the camping facilities, maps, travel information and other accommodation available.
Please note that consumption of alcohol and smoking on the site are not allowed due to the remote and mountainous nature of the workshop location.
The earthbag dome workshop will run from 9am to 5pm on each day. You will be welcome to arrive the day before the workshop and to leave the day afterwards.
But there is more…
This will be more than just an earthbag dome workshop – it will be a wonderful opportunity to enjoy learning and relaxing amongst like minded people, some who may become your friends for life!
Earthbag Homes in Disaster Regions
Click here to read more about why earthbag homes are a great construction method to introduce into the world’s poorer, disaster prone communities.
Hear Paulina talk about her experience and vision for Earth, Hands and Houses:
Watch people’s experience of an Earth, Hands and Houses straw bale and clay plastering workshop: