A five day Straw Bale and Clay Plastering Workshop:
12th – 16th May 2018.
A 5 day In-depth clay plastering and carving, the artistry of clay workshop.
18-23 May 2018.
Taught by architect and author Paulina Wojciechowska.
This workshop is a wonderful opportunity to gain hands-on experience of constructing and plastering a straw bale building.
The straw bale workshop will be held in a lovely farming field set in rolling english countryside on the otskirts of the village of Forest Row, 30 minutes drive from London Gatwick airport.
What You Will Learn
Setting out of the building, making foundations and walls and plastering. Hands-on experience of all the stages in straw bale wall construction, and an introduction to the plastering of a real structure:
Straw Bale Workshop UK (5 days)
- Setting out and foundations
- Raising straw bale walls
- How to tie the straw bale walls together
- Making a wall plate and compressing a wall
- Installation of door and window frames
- Managing the use of bales to maintain wall strength
- Recognizing the clay found on our land and understanding how to use it for building
- Preparation and application of the first 2 coats of clay plaster onto the straw bale wall
This straw bale workshop will be mainly hands-on, working on a small building which will be used for storage. Theory lessons on some days will back up the practical skills learned and provide the opportunity for more detailed questions to be answered.
In-Depth Clay Plastering and carving, the artistry of clay Workshop (5 days)
There is an opportunity to stay on for a further six days, working on an existing straw bale structure to gain a more in depth, hands on experience of a wide range of clay plastering techniques, including:
- Sculpting with the second straw clay based plaster layer,
- making your own wooden trowels
- Preparation and application of the final smooth layer of plaster.
- Types of smooth plasters, including those that are prepared with and without lime.
- Application of plaster with a natural plant based stabiliser such as wheat paste.
- Experimenting with and undestanding how to mix different plasters and stabilisers.
- The different methods of applying smooth plasters to a wall.
- An introduction to carving techniques of smooth plasters.
- Mixing and application of clay paints
- Use of straw and clay as insulation.
- An introduction to clay plaster mixes used in cob ovens and earthen floors.
- Mostly hands on but some theory lessons.
Numbers on the workshop will be limited to ensure a good learning experience, and we are expecting the allocated places to fill up before the workshop begins.
To find out more:
email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
call Paulina on (+44) 7787918184.
About your Workshop Leader
The workshop will be lead by Earth, Hands and Houses founder Paulina Wojciechowska, a qualified architect who has over 18 years of experience building with straw bales and earthbags in communities all around the world. Paulina worked alongside leading straw bale and clay plaster veterans Bill and Athena Steen in 1997-8 and has been involved in running straw bale workshops and designing and building straw bale structures since then. Click here to hear Paulina talk about her experiences.
Food, Location, Accommodation
Vegetarian/Vegan food will be available at a cost of approx. £10/day, payable upon arrival. The food will comprise a self service breakfast, full cooked lunchtime meal, and a light supper, ususally leftovers from lunch or soup. This money covers the groceries only. To keep the food cost to the minimun the food will be prepared by ourselves.
The straw bale workshop UK will be held in Forest Row , which is a 30 minute drive south of London Gatwick airport. You may camp at the field for Free.
CLICK HERE for Location Maps, more details of the camping facilities, maps, travel information and other accommodation available.
The Straw Bale workshop will run between 9.30am-5.30pm Each day. The plastering workshop will start at 12noon on the first day and finishing after lunch on the last day.
But there is more…
This will be more than just a straw bale workshop – it will be a wonderful opportunity to enjoy learning and relaxing amongst like minded people, some who may become your friends for life!
Hear Paulina talk about her experience and vision for Earth, Hands and Houses:
Watch people’s experience of an Earth, Hands and Houses straw bale and clay plastering workshop: